If all I have to do is believe then, why do the scriptures require so many other things?
Did Jesus say that 'Everyone that says they believe is automatically saved, and there is nothing left to do'?
· Matthew 7:22 Repent, therefore, and enter ye in at the strait gate; for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be who go in thereat. 23 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way that leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
· Matthew 7:30 Verily I say unto you, it is not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, that shall enter unto the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
· Matthew 7:35 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand; and the rains descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house, and it fell; and great was the fall of it.
· I John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. But if any man sin and repent, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; (2) And he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
What were Jesus' words when someone asked the question "What do I have to do to have eternal Life?'
· Mark 10:15 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
· Mark 10:16 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good but one, that is God.
· Mark 10:17 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery; Do not kill; Do not steal; Do not bear false witness; Defraud not; Honor thy father and mother.
(essentially, Christ asks him to keep the commandments as taught by scripture, especially associated with the 10 commandments)
· Mark 10:18 And the man answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
· Mark 10:19 Then Jesus beholding him, loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest;
· Mark 10:20 Go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
(But Christ's response puzzled him. Essentially, Christ was saying, 'If you've done all these commandments, this is what they mean: you will love your neighbor as yourself, and Love God by devoting your self to him. This is why Jesus responded 'All the law and prophets hang on these: love God with all your being, and love your neighbor as yourself.' If you did all the other requirements, they were the building blocks toward the principles the lord was preparing us to live by)
· Mark 10:21 And the man was sad at that saying, and went away grieved; for he had great possessions.
· Mark 10:22 And Jesus looked round about, and said unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of my Father!
· Mark 10:23 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus spake again and said unto them, Children, how hard is it for them who trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
(Many points to be made: First, the lord responds that eternal life comes not by just 'knowing' or confessing, but by doing. Keeping the commandments is required. After all, what was Jesus' response? Second, he gives us commandments that prepare us to receive higher laws and understanding. (as in this example above). If we've mastered the basics, he'll show us what it means.)